Max Fisher, an international reporter and columnist for The New York Times, kicked off a debate last month about the “Latin Americanization” of the U.S. being the “defining trend of our time, arguably even more than right-wing populism.” Fisher later deleted his post and apologized, saying he hadn’t intended to imply that U.S. problems come… Read More Spotting Trends: ‘Bad Hombres’ in the News
Citation Becker, Marc. The FBI in Latin America: The Ecuador Files. Radical Perspectives : A Radical History Review Book Series. Durham ; London: Duke University Press, 2017.
Bloomberg Businessweek, March 28 — April 3, 2016 Susan Lamy and her husband, Jean Pierre, owned a successful interior design business in Westport, Conn., but they still worried about how they would make ends meet in retirement. “Just paying for the basic necessities was killing us, and we could see that there was no way… Read More Greetings From Gringolandia
Nathan Gill and Randall WoodsJune 19, 2012 Julian Assange, the founder of anti-secrecy group Wikileaks, sought asylum at Ecuador’s Embassy in London after exhausting his options through British courts to avert extradition to Sweden. Ecuador is studying the request and is in contact with the U.K. government, Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino told reporters in Quito… Read More Wikileaks Founder Assange Seeks Asylum at Ecuador’s U.K. Embassy
George Lauderbaugh’s The History of Ecuador is a general survey of the country from pre-Colombian times to the present. In addition to biographical sketches of illustrious Ecuadorians, he focuses on three economic booms since 1890, the cacao boom of 1890—1914, the banana boom between 1948—1960, and the oil boom from 1970—1992. CitationLauderbaugh, George. The History… Read More The History of Ecuador: George Lauderbaugh
By Nathan Gill Sept. 29 (Bloomberg) — The U.S. needs to open up trade relations with Cuba, said U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke. President Barack Obama believes the U.S. needs to “open up our trade relations and our exchange of people and travel and that many of the restrictions with Cuba need to be… Read More U.S. Needs to Open Up Trade Relations With Cuba, Locke Says
By Nathan Gill Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) — The U.S. government is committed to resisting protectionism, Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said today during a presentation at a conference in Santiago, Chile. Protectionism doesn’t work, he said.
(March 10, 2008) The crisis that erupted last week over Colombia’s bombing of a FARC base camp inside Ecuador seems to have come to an end. A political solution was reached between the region’s foreign ministers at the OAS special session while a more personal agreement was reached between the presidents of several Latin American… Read More Counting the Chips: Political Solution Reached Between Ecuador and Colombia
U.S. newspapers announced this week that Congress is expected to ratify a free trade agreement (FTA) with Peru before its Nov. recess. The FTA will eliminate 80 percent of U.S. export tariffs to Peru with the remaining 20 percent to be phased out over the next 10 years. While U.S. lawmakers argued over the inclusion… Read More What Does Peru’s FTA Mean For The Rest Of The Region?
(May 31, 2006) Government spokespeople downplayed U.S. Department of State threats against Chile in the event that Chile supports Venezuela’s bid for a seat on the United Nations Security Council. Ricardo Lagos Weber, Chile’s government spokesman, indicated that Chile would not be pressured by the U.S., but instead seek regional consensus on the issue before… Read More BACHELET ADMINISTRATION REACTS TO REPORTS OF U.S. THREATS
Citation Williams, Derek. “Crude Chronicles: Indigenous Politics, Multinational Oil, and Neoliberalism in Ecuador.” Hispanic American Historical Review 86, no. 2 (May 1, 2006): 409–11.
The United States announced it has placed Venezuela on the list of countries not cooperating with counter-terrorism efforts and would ban future weapons sales to the country. “This focuses on concerns that [the U.S.] has in terms of the relationship [Venezuela] has built up with states like Iran and Cuba, state sponsors of terror,” said… Read More U.S. HALTS WEAPON SALES TO VENEZUELA
Citation Sawyer, Suzana. Crude Chronicles: Indigenous Politics, Mutlinational Oil, and Neoliberalism in Ecuador. Durham: Duke University Press, 2004.
Citation Kofas, Jon V. “The IMF, the World Bank, and U.S. Foreign Policy in Ecuador, 1956-1966.” Latin American Perspectives 28, no. 5 (September 2001): 50-83.
Citation Drake, Paul W. The Money Doctor in the Andes: The Kemmerer Missions, 1923–1933. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1989.